How do you effectively guide your spiritual community into developing the consciousness and skills of emotional and spiritual maturity? The Emotional and Spiritual Development Guide provides a conscious curriculum and process for current members and newcomers alike. This guide is part of our Leadership and Ministry Development Resource series.
Thriving spiritual communities intentionally engage their members in activities to grow and evolve themselves emotionally and spiritually. People who are grounded in Unity teachings and who embody these teachings measure their success by how effectively they can put the Truth they know into practical application—how meaningfully they can walk their talk.
Emotional and spiritual development is important for all people in a spiritual community. It manifests as a healthy spiritual community that is able to achieve its vision and purpose, live its core values, attract others of like mind, grow into the fullest expression of Unity teachings, and demonstrate Spirit in its affairs.
Individuals who develop their emotional and spiritual maturity connect with others in community. They are drawn to meaningful roles in support of the Unity mission: Advancing the movement of spiritual awakening and transformation through Unity, a positive path for spiritual living.
Attending Sunday celebration services is not enough for people to develop fully. There must be opportunities that meet them where they are spiritually and emotionally and guide them to their next steps, as an ongoing process.
Goals of the Emotional and Spiritual Development Process
- To align all development processes with Unity Truth teachings
- To consciously deepen participant’s spiritual practice as they participate in a spiritual transformation process
- To invite deeper and greater personal commitment to individual health on all levels, self-responsibility, abundant living, and community service
- To equip participants with skills for assuming meaningful roles and accountabilities in the spiritual community
- To build capacity for leadership, mentoring and modeling
Through implementing this process, you will create a “community of learners” which highly values ongoing emotional and spiritual growth. While each individual must do their own inner work, it is challenging to do it alone. A benefit of being part of a spiritual community is having others who:
- model the value of emotional and spiritual maturity;
- call each person to their Christ potential;
- provide opportunities, mentoring and support, and compassionately hold each one accountable, if needed; and
- build capacity for individually and collectively making a positive difference in the spiritual community and in the world.
This Guide provides:
- A three-phased roadmap and implementation guidelines for both large and small spiritual communities
- An explanation of the overall process, as well as descriptions of each individual course that is part of the process
- A wide selection of courses, books, tools and techniques. Each course is paired with a Facilitator Guide, syllabus and/or resources that support you in providing the courses in your ministry.
- An explanation of how the emotional and spiritual development process fits in with ministry systems such as welcoming systems, spiritual gifts discovery, sacred service ministry, enhanced membership system (community member/governing member), and leadership development
It is likely that your ministry already has some or even many of the elements of Emotional and Spiritual Development. This implementation guide will assist you in assessing your current system, aligning it with “best practices” and developing a system that serves your community in increasingly supportive ways.
Read the related articles about the Leadership and Ministry Development Resource Guides, the Spiritual Gifts Discovery Facilitator’s Guide and the Sacred Service Ministry Guide.
How Can UWM Members Access the Guides?
Note: These guides are free to Unity ministers and ministries as a membership benefit and as a thank-you for your support to UWM. Others outside Unity are welcome to visit our Shop to purchase these ministry-enhancing items.
UWM members (ministers and ministries) are welcome to watch this video which explains how to access the guides.